3/23/20

We’re All Just a Bunch’a Tools

Every trade has its tools.
     A shovel is a tool that can be used to cultivate land - creating a space for seeds to thrive. A shovel can also be used to ruin a garden - dig up all of the pretty and hearty plants, tear them up by the root, throw them away to shrivel and rot. 

    In the same way, any tool can be used for good or for bad, it all depends on who is in possession of the tool. What do they intend? What is their definition of value?

     Business is a tool - a tool that is often overlooked. Some look at business and see money, status, a means to an end, and a tool to be used for personal gain. Some look at business and see the greed of the formerly mentioned and choose to be disgusted by the whole enterprise - hating the tool, itself, not the one in the possession of the tool. I constantly stood somewhere between, sitting on the fence… But, I had never taken a moment to realize that the very tool that I was sometimes disappointed in was the same tool that I could be proud of. 


Businesses have the ability to access extensive reach, resources, and reputation 
- they just have to be in the right hands. 

     So, I started looking into businesses that were, like, WAY ahead of me, businesses that are (and have been) very much aware of the good that can come from such a powerful tool. There are so many businesses working for good, nonprofits designed to help them, individuals willing to support them. This subject is not new, it just is for me. 

     Terms that I had never heard of started popping up in my searches (or maybe I had heard them, I just never took the time to understand what they meant):

Benefit Corporation

Re-commerce

Circular Economy

Slow Fashion

Regenerative Agriculture

Green Supply Chain

    In the spirit of keeping posts short and sweet, we will dive into these terms (and more) in posts to come... but more importantly we will dive into how all of it impacts us, how it impacts the environment, and what we can do to be a part of positive change...

No comments:

Post a Comment