3/20/20

Work & Play: Not Exclusive

Please note, these flowers were purchased from a
local farm stand at a farmers market, I did not pick them. 
I was listening to Jack Johnson yesterday and Spotify had one of those “behind the lyrics” thing, where it shared the lyrics and facts about the song/artist as the song was playing. The song was “My Mind is for Sale,” one of Jack’s first politically-fueled songs. In one clip from an interview about the song, Jack said, 

“Jacques Cousteau says we protect the things we love,
and so I realized it’s my time to do that work.”

That rang true to the shift I had felt in my perspective recently. I have played hard in the wild places that I love without the realization of their fragility. The rocks and the rivers and the lakes and valleys all seem so untouchable. But, they’re not, and I want my future kids to be able to play in the same water and experience the same views that I grew up cherishing, the experiences that have kept my sense of wonder and excitement thriving. Another quote that has been rattling around in my head lately is, 


“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
-Edmund Burke

I think that can apply to a lot of scenarios, including environmental conservation. 

     So, I'm working my way through grad school for business right now. Business makes sense to me. It takes a certain level of understanding people and a certain level of strategy and organization (these are a few of my favorite things). But, I've been sleeping. Dreaming a little dream of working my way through school and playing hard outdoors. Thinking that someday I will have graduated with a Masters in a focus that I am good at, but don’t necessarily feel excited about. But I didn't care, because all that I wanted was a job that paid for my play. Hiking, vanlifing, rock climbing, snowboarding, backpacking.. not to mention eating healthy and owning pups and probably bringing kiddos into the mix. 

     It took me 8 years of school to come to the realization that work and play do not have to be exclusive... or even more humbling, that they are not at all exclusive. 

     The places that I play, the places that I love so much and cherish so dearly, they are a part of the whole picture. Business is, undoubtedly, the largest contributor to climate change and environmental destruction. Just 100 corporations are responsible for 71% of global emissions. So, if business can have this large of a negative impact, just imagine the level of positive impact business could be a catalyst for. Rose Macario, the CEO of Patagonia, said, 

“Business can be a tool for positive change,
it is the only thing that can move the meter.”

     And I had come to believe that my business degree wasn’t going to be able to help save the places I loved. I’m not science-minded, but for a minute I wondered if I needed to change my focus to environmental science or something of the sort. But upon hearing this quote from Rose, along with the research I have dived into, I have come to realize that there are endless roles that need to be filled in order to help conserve wild places. Being at the source and having your hands in the dirt is a critical role, but so is redirecting individuals’ and corporations’ perspectives. Circling back to the concept that my work and play are not at all exclusive. Maintaining a healthy earth is important to maintaining a healthy economy, which also creates health and wellness in people. It is all a circle - which makes it clear that every role in that circle is a part of the big picture. 

     My business degree may be more relevant than ever, seeing as consumers are getting savvy about their purchases - where their products came from, who made them, how they were made, etc. I want to work hard to ensure that this consumer focus is seen by businesses, as well as find ways to help these businesses green their supply chain and reduce their carbon emissions. 

It’s a circle, where our actions come back around to us - I plan on doing my part to ensure that the circle is happy and healthy. 

Happy trails! 

Dai




No comments:

Post a Comment