11/12/13

No bones about it... or in this case, a lot of bones.

Alrighty, let me set up my most recent endeavor for you:


So, we left the California coast and all of its tan-ness and headed northeast on our slow journey back home.

The Salton Sea was our decided destination. This “sea” looks more like a very large lake. What makes this body of water a sea? Well, I’ll tell ya why. See, it’s salinity can become so high at times that it’s salty smell overpowers that of the ocean. To add to its incredibly strong smell, there are times where its salinity rises even more so and makes it impossible for the fish to survive in their usual habitat. Where do all these dying fish go, you ask? Why yes, you assumed correctly. They all wash up along the shoreline… thousands of dead fish along the salty beach.
But no worries, the time we decided to go, there were no dead fish. So that was nice.

Now let me draw you a picture of my experience at the Salton Sea. A very funny experience…


The drive to the sea was simple, just desert-like mountains and then flat desert plains. After a few hours and a few stops along the way, we arrived. Driving along the edge of the sea was gorgeous. However, the sun was going down and we hadn’t quite gotten to the beach-side campsite yet. This was one of the most breathtakingly beautiful sunsets I have ever seen in my life. And the fact that we were still driving and not enjoying it was making us so frustrated and we rushed to the campsite. Once we finally arrived. I HAD to pull over before even talking to the camp host and go to the beach to soak it up and record it in my iphone so I can share it with the world (or just facebook). Walking down the beach was gorgeous, it was white and dry. There were large, graceful birds gliding along the reflective water, more birds flying just above the mountain silhouettes, and… FISH BONES BENEATH MY CHACOS.

I was literally walking on piles of fish bones. In Chaco sandals. I was also already a great distance from the car. I had just become so entranced by the beauty surrounding me that I had not thought to look down.

Yeah, it was disgusting.
And awesome.
In a really… really weird way.

After snagging a few shots, awkwardly walking to the car, and immediately putting on boots, all was good. And we still enjoyed the sunset… from the van.

Really did make me think though… God is so great. To take something like the death of a thousand fish and make it so breathtakingly gorgeous. It really is humbling.

Here is a nice lil picture update from the last few days for ya... 












Aloha ke akua.


-Dai

No comments:

Post a Comment