11/6/13

A full and very pale moon

Yesterday was a beautiful day. But I’m not sure I can say the same for yesterday evening. :P

First, here’s a quick recap of the day’s events.
My mom and I started our day by taking a trip to the Grand Canyon. We didn’t stay very long, but it felt like it would be wrong not to see it while traveling the state of Arizona. It was gorgeous. Breathtaking. And looked just like the countless pictures I’ve seen of it. So, although it was breathtaking, it still unfortunately felt like I’d seen it a million times over.

So, with the Grand Canyon behind us, we drove down some really scenic roads south on our way towards Sedona. Well… at least I heard they were scenic. The narrow roads with countless switchbacks, oncoming traffic that didn’t prefer to stay in their side of the yellow line, and a scrawny guardrail attempting to keep you from plummeting to your death kept me somewhat preoccupied and unable to soak up the “scenic”ness. However, the few glances I got were absolutely magical. The constant variance of colors in Arizona’s landscape are inspiring. God is an artist with some serious skill.

Alrighty! So, here we are for the evening. We found a semi-primitive campground to call home for a night. It is quite a ways from civilization and only two other campers accompany us in this mystical campground. I say mystical because I feel like I stepped into a movie with a magical kingdom  filled with rivers, waterfalls, little cliffs, awe-inspiring trees, and a faint breeze brushing across my face. (See photos below. *Breeze not pictured*) This magical kingdom is one where I am reverted to a child again… and by “again”, I mean since the last time I acted like a child… which was yesterday… when I saw a stray dog on one of our stops and begged my mom to keep him. (We didn’t).

Okay okay. Back to this evening’s events!
The steps of setting up our campsite goes something like this: Set up sleeping area. Feed dog. Collect wood. Eat an apple the size of my head for dinner. No seriously, it was huge. Build fire. And once it is finally dark, get dressed into warm/tech sleeping clothes.

Now I wasn’t too worried about the changing part. As I said, there are a total of two other people in this entire campground. So, my mom is already changing and occupying the changing room we have set up on the outside of our van (see picture below). Therefore, I decide to go ahead and get dressed on the other side of the van. The side nearer the road. I look around for any sign of humanity near me and come to the conclusion that the coast is clear.
Boots: off.
Socks: off.
Pants: off.
Stranger’s flashlight: on.
And shining right at my body’s recently bared bottom half.

Um. Awkward.

The worst part about this whole situation is my initial deer-in-headlights reaction to freeze completely and not do anything proactive to solve the situation in a timely manner.
Well, that stranger got to see both a solar eclipse and a full moon in the same evening. Lucky fella…
Now, I think I’m going to go laugh of embarrassment. Again.





The Dai's adventures: 










Aloha ke akua.

- Dai

No comments:

Post a Comment